Tag Archives: Genetics

Why picking Nature in the battle of Nature v Nurture is picking the easy way out

“The idea that math ability is mostly genetic is one dark facet of a larger fallacy that intelligence is mostly genetic” (Kimball, Smith 2013).

This quote brought back memories of the 7th grade. I always had a liking for mathematics. I believe it is because I found solving the problems rewarding, and I liked the feeling of accomplishment that it gave me. There was no gray area, I liked that it was just facts. This resulted in me helping other classmates with their work. I remember many times that the classmate that I was helping would saying something like, “I do not get this,” or “Math just is not for me.” I think I am lucky that I studied mathematics as I view as a strong skill to have, but the idea that certain skills are innate is not limited to mathematics, and much more of an issue of note wanting to put effort into difficult situations. I have definitely given up on some new challenges, simply because they were too hard.

“For almost everyone, believing that you were born dumb—and are doomed to stay that way—is believing a lie” (Kimball, Smith 2013).

Some new experiences will probably come easy to people, but most will be challenging at first. This can be a great inhibiter for most people resulting in many missed opportunities. People ending up tuning out many issues, because most issues, or anything worth knowing is complicated.

“Analysts at some securities firms are worried that the 40% slide in gasoline prices at the pump since April might hurt demand for electric cars” (Ramsey, 2015).

The reason I am tying in this quote from The Wall Street Journal is I believe it is an indicator of the general public’s opinion on energy in America. Most cheap gasoline has come as a result of greater supply, but that supply is still not a renewable form of energy. I think most of America views themselves as “not a math person”, and “not a science person,” or at least not a “climate person.” Whether you want to be a certain type of person or not, the issue does not just go away. Mathematics still encompasses many areas of life, and climate issues are definitely not something that should be ignored. Although stocks respond in the short term, people are also buying all future value of that firm as long as they hold that stock.

Do not get me wrong. I like having cheaper gasoline at the pump, but I also am aware that the issue of creating renewable energy for growing population levels is not solved. Only put on the back burner, at least in the eyes of the general public.

“Tesla’s forthcoming Model 3 and capable of traveling 200 miles…” (Ramsey, 2015).

“The Chevrolet Volt, a plug-in hybrid introduced by GM in 2010, has an electric range of just 38 miles, though next year’s model will go 50 miles” (Ramsey, 2015).

From just a pure numbers standpoint Tesla clearly is producing a more sustainable, and practical vehicle, although typically at a higher cost (Tesla Motors, Chevrolet).

If I was thinking about future value, Tesla Motors might be a good investment. Assuming they can reduce the sticker price, without sacrificing the traveling distance. Tesla Motors may not be the future of automobiles but I think Elon Musk is at least going down the right path, and not ignoring the issues that we are all facing.

I hope that people, myself included, continue to realize that mathematics, science, or anything new and foreign may be difficult, but it is worth knowing and possible to understand with enough effort.

Sources

http://www.wsj.com/articles/electric-car-pioneer-musk-charges-head-on-at-detroit-1421033527?mod=WSJ_hp_RightTopStories

Ramsey, Michael. “Electric-Car Pioneer Musk Charges Head-On at Detroit.”WSJ. N.p., 11 Jan. 2015. Web. 12 Jan. 2015.

http://qz.com/139453/theres-one-key-difference-between-kids-who-excel-at-math-and-those-who-dont/

Kimball, Miles, and Noah Smith. “There’s One Key Difference between Kids Who Excel at Math and Those Who Don’t.” Quartz. N.p., 27 Oct. 2015. Web. 11 Jan. 2015.

© October 27, 2013: Miles Kimball and Noah Smith, as first published on Quartz. Used by permission according to a temporary nonexclusive license expiring June 30, 2015. All rights reserved.

http://my.teslamotors.com/models/design

“Resale Value Guarantee.” Model S Design Studio. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 Jan. 2015.

Tesla Motors

http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car/build-your-own.html

“Build Your 2015 Volt.” Www.chevrolet.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 12 Jan. 2015.

Chevrolet