Revised Post: Millennials and City Jobs

With “real” adulthood right around the corner, future plans have become an integral part of normal interaction among my peers. While everyone has a different plan in mind for himself or herself, there are usually two commonalities: getting a job and moving to a city.

For people like myself who are from Michigan, there is not a lot to keep you here post-graduation. The lack of young people and cold weather aside, the mediocre job market takes the cake for most impacting factor. As well-educated students, we must consider all aspects and implications of future decisions. This includes picking where we can grow and thrive the most. Especially where people have student debt accumulated, there lies a sense of urgency toward going to a city to achieve success that will help them (begin) to pay off their loans.

In the Wall Street Journal article “More Young Adults Stay Put in Big Cities” author Neil Shah notes that this may be a systematic problem. Shah points out how these young people who begin their careers in the cities are facing a higher tendency of getting stuck there. The standard notion from what I have experienced is that the city and the city job are starting points and you eventually move elsewhere in the suburbs when you’re ready for a family lifestyle. Shah posits “Some could get stuck in jobs that aren’t matches for them, reducing the economy’s productivity.”

The implications of people getting stuck in the city affect matters both socially and culturally. Young adults delay starting families and buying homes, they worry themselves about staying with jobs they may not care about and overall productivity in the workforce could be at stake. Additionally, the talented workforce becomes concentrated in only cities.

An article by The Atlantic states, “This geographic dispersal of highly-skilled workers, the norm for decades, meant that the gains of states with stronger economies would be spread to those with weaker ones.” This is referring to how the experienced and intelligent young city folk spread their positive influence by moving out of the cities. Without this, a perpetual problem is created where the weaker economies are more likely to remain weak.

Being in a position where moving to a city is something that I want to do, I did not foresee “getting stuck” as being a problem. The idea of being stuck anywhere is not favorable however it does not personally make my dreams of a big city job waiver. I think it will be interesting to see how this affects the economy, my peers, and I in different ways moving forward.

2 thoughts on “Revised Post: Millennials and City Jobs

1. Chris Rockwell

Interesting post, the info from the Atlantic article certainly poses a problem when the NYT article’s evidence is presented. However, in this case it seems the people getting stuck in cities did not perform well anyway — hence the suburbs aren’t missing out on much!

2. Jaewon Lee

When I first came to the states, I was surprised by how differently people perceived about living in the city. In most Asian countries, people move to city not only to work but also to live. City is the place where everything is located and you are considered to be successful if you live in there. I wonder what brings this difference.